Alexander technique principles can be taught remotely, all we need is a screen so we can see each-other and an internet connection!
I can help you build good habits of self-care and increase your body awareness. Alexander Technique is not just about posture and “correct” movement, it is about consciously being aware of what you are doing. A lot of our life is governed by habits, which is useful in many ways, but it does mean that we are not always making a choice about how we behave and react.
Alexander Technique helps us to bring our habits up into our awareness so we can choose to keep the helpful ones, and start to change the unhelpful ones.
These principles also help you learn how best to take care of yourself. Chronic pain and long term conditions associated with pain are often poorly understood and it can be difficult to work out what to do to look after ourselves.
I can help you work through the factors in your life that may be contributing to your pain, and build a happier, more fulfilling life.
Examples of areas we might consider depending on what you would like help with:
- Stress management:what is a useful level of stress for you (it’s not all bad!) and how can you keep it within bounds you can cope with long-term? What tools do you have to cope with stress?
- Exercise: movement is very helpful for pain, but where are you now, and where would you like to be in 2 months time? What can we change about how you move to make it more comfortable? You may only be able to cope with a tiny amount of movement each day, or you may run marathons, but different movement inputs can be helpful for everyone. Alexander Technique excels at finding different ways of movement that help you to feel at ease and reduce pain.
- Breathing: where do you breathe from? Do you breath hold or breathe shallowly when in stressful situations? Alexander Technique can help you use your breathing positively in response to pain and stress.
- Self-care: Do you treat yourself kindly and encourage yourself? Do you take the breaks and time out you need to take care of yourself?
- Understanding your pain or condition: Pain is a very strange phenomenon, and getting to grips with how it works (probably not quite how you think! see more here), and what that means for you can be an incredibly helpful part of recovery.
- Diet: Nutrition and the microbiome can have an affect on your pain, via inflammation and other factors. Pain killers can affect your uptake of nutrients. I can help support you with making sensible changes to your diet for long term health.
I would love to help you. Please do get in touch for a no pressure chat about your needs and goals.
First lesson half price